Juneau Hunter Education Shooting Complex (JHESC)
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Hours
(September 1 through March 31)
|DAY OF THE WEEK||PUBLIC SHOOTING HOURS|
Noon to 2:00pm
6:00 to 8:00pm
Noon to 2:00pm
6:00 to 8:00pm
|Fridays||Noon to 2:00pm|
|Saturdays||Noon to 6:00pm|
|Sundays||Noon to 8:00pm|
Published hours do not include emergency closures, special events, and are subject to change from what is indicated.
Please note, the live-fire range is used for hunter education certification classes, youth shooting sports instruction, practice and matches, competitive shooting events, league shooting and firearms training and qualification outside of walk-in public hours. Fees collected during public hours help offset the operational cost for the range and keep the range open for public use. Thank you for supporting the range!
The Juneau Hunter Education Shooting Complex will be closed in 2023 for events and State of Alaska approved holidays on the following dates:
- Saturday, September 9 Opening at 2:00pm (Alaskans Afield, Intro to Handguns 9am-2pm)
- Sunday, September 10 Opening at 5:00pm (CCW Class)
- Saturday, September 23 Opening at 2:00pm (Hunter Education 8am-1pm)
- Tuesday, October 17 in observance of Alaska Day
- Friday, November 10 in observance of Veterans' Day
- Friday, November 24 in observance of Thanksgiving Day
- Monday, December 25 in observance of Christmas
More Information About Public Shooting Hours
Successful completion of the Range Orientation and Safety Briefing is required in order to use the live-fire range during walk-in public shooting hours. Orientations are given anytime during walk-in public shooting hours.
- Eye and ear protection is required and is available for sale or rent at the counter along with targets.
- You may share a lane with one other person.
- Users under the age of 16 must have an adult accompany them while at range and sign in acknowledging compliance to follow all Range Safety Rules.
- The live-fire range is designed to accommodate handguns up to .44 magnum, rimfire rifles, and pistol caliber carbines (9mm, .40, .45, 10mm, .38/.357, etc.
- NO centerfire rifles (except pistol caliber carbines up to 44 Magnum), muzzleloaders, or shotguns.
- NO ammunition where a magnet will stick to the bullet, armor-piercing ammunition, tracers, bimetal jacketed, steel core, and any ammunition that creates significant sparks when hitting the bullet trap is prohibited. NO drawing from a holster, movement drills or trick shooting is permitted.
- The range orientation provides additional information about the capabilities of the live-fire range and what can and cannot be fired.
- Firearms must be unloaded and cased when entering the facility (does not apply to on-duty law enforcement).
Additional Shooting Opportunities
- The Juneau Archery Club manages the archery range. Visit their website for information about range hours and procedures. https://juneauarchery.com/
- The Hank Harmon Public Range is less than a mile from JHESC. Hunters and recreational shooters can use centerfire rifles at this range. https://hhprjuneau.org
- The Juneau Gun Club shares a parking lot with JHESC. Visit their website for information about range hours and procedures. http://juneaugunclub.com/